His Holiness Pope Francis today has appointed His Excellency Archbishop Marek Zalewski as Apostolic Nuncio to the Republic of Singapore, as well as non-resident Pontifical Representative for Vietnam.
This is Archbishop Zalewski’s second assignment to Singapore, the first being from 2011-2012 when he served as Counsellor of the Nunciature.
Prior to his new appointment, Archbishop Zalewski was the Apostolic Nuncio to Zimbabwe since 31 July, 2014.
- Born 2nd February 1963 in Augustów, Poland;
- Ordained to the Priesthood in Poland on 27 May 1989;
- Holds a Doctorate in Canon Law from Pontificia Università Gregoriana (Gregorian University)
- Upon entering the diplomatic service of the Holy See in July 1995, he had the following postings:
- Central African Republic (1995-1998)
- United Nations Organisation – New York (1998-2001)
- Great Britain (2001-2004)
- Germany (2004-2008)
- Thailand (2008-2011)
- Singapore (2011-2012)
- Malaysia (2012-2014);
- Appointed Titular Archbishop of Africa (Mehdia, in Tunisia) and Apostolic Nuncio (Ambassador) to Zimbabwe by Pope Francis on 25 March 2014;
- Besides his native language, he speaks Italian and English
21 May 2018, on the Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church
Archbishop’s Communications Office
Read: Archived article (CatholicNews 2014)